From empty castles in Europe to abandoned mining towns in the American West, we’ve covered our share of ghost towns and abandoned places here at The Lineup. Here are 15 of our most haunting destinations.
1. 7 Hauntingly Beautiful Abandoned Castles
These grand halls and opulent estates once stood as monuments to wealth. Today, they lie in ruin. Step inside the world's most beautiful abandoned castles. READ MORE.
2. Pere Cheney: The Michigan Ghost Town Cursed by a Witch
By 1917, the once-bustling lumber town of Pere Cheney, Michigan was all but deserted. Could a witch's curse be to blame? READ MORE.
3. Bachelor’s Grove: Chicagoland’s Sinister Abandoned Cemetery
Just outside the city of Chicago rests an abandoned burial ground that many believe is one of the most haunted places in the country. READ MORE.
4. The Forsaken Halls of England’s Severalls Hospital
Severalls Hospital, just outside Colchester, England, was once a sprawling institution that housed more than 2,000 patients. Today, it languishes in eerie abandonment. READ MORE.
5. Death in Eyam: The Tragic Tale of England’s Plague Village
In 1665, the Black Plague arrived at the doorstep of the English parish of Eyam. Its villagers were forced to make a life-or-death decision: Abandon their home, or remain where they are and face certain death? READ MORE.
6. Eternal Devotion: 8 Abandoned Churches and Cemeteries
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Even the most magnificent house of worship will one day return to earth. READ MORE.
7. Haunting on the Hill: The Creepy History of the Hell Fire Club
Crowning a hill outside Dublin is an abandoned stone structure where it is said that men once struck deals with the Devil. READ MORE.
8. 25 of the Creepiest Abandoned Places Around the World
From underwater cities to forsaken amusement parks, take a trip to the creepiest abandoned places on Earth. READ MORE.
9. 7 of the Creepiest Ghost Towns in America
America's landscape is dotted with spooky reminders of its past. Here are seven of the eeriest ghost towns still standing in the U.S. READ MORE.
10. The Stairway to Hell in Tagus, North Dakota
Hell hounds, ghost trains, and a stairway to Hell... this abandoned prairie town is beyond haunted. READ MORE.
11. 6 Creepy Abandoned Mansions from Around the World
They once housed the wealthy and played host to opulent parties. Now, these abandoned mansions are haunted by dark figments of the past, and perhaps a few ghosts. READ MORE.
12. New York’s Forgotten North Brother Island
Just off the coast of the Bronx lies one of the last untamed places in New York City. Chart a course for North Brother, a deserted island in the midst of the Big Apple. READ MORE.
13. Hashima Island: Japan’s Ghost City in the Sea
Just off the southwestern tip of Japan lies a lost island city of concrete, packed with crumbling apartment towers and treacherous mine shafts. READ MORE.
14. 9 Most Haunting Ghost Towns from Around the World
The streets may be empty but the spirits of the past still linger. From Norway to Namibia, journey to the world's spookiest abandoned towns. READ MORE.