Everyone knows the name Ted Bundy. The notorious serial killer evokes disturbing images of victimized women and grisly police discoveries.
His sheer number of victims aside, it was Bundy’s ability to captivate an audience that made him an especially terrifying killer. Take a trip inside Bundy’s twisted mind with ten of his most ominous, graphic, and manipulative confessions.
“The Hawkins girl’s head was severed and taken up the road about twenty-five to fifty yards and buried in a location about ten yards west of the road on a rocky hillside. Did you hear that?”
1. Ted Bundy revealed this chilling detail about the murder and dismemberment of Georgeann Hawkins while talking with homicide detective Robert D. Keppel.
Related: 10 TERRIFYING TRUE STORIES OF KILLERS WHO KNEW THEIR VICTIMS
“You then possess them [the victims] and they shall forever be a part of you. And the grounds where you kill them or leave them become sacred to you, and you will always be drawn back to them.”
2. Bundy served up this disturbing insight into the connection he felt toward his victims and the places where he took their lives while talking with Special Agent Bill Hagmaier of the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit.
“When you feel the last bit of breath leaving their body, you're looking into their eyes. A person in that situation is God!”
3. Again speaking with Special Agent Bill Hagmaier, Bundy explained in chilling detail the sense of power he felt while taking a life.
“When you work hard to do something right, you don’t want to forget it.”
4. Out of context the above quote seems harmless. But nothing in the world of Ted Bundy is without a sickening backstory. Bundy delivered the above rationale to Agent Hagmaier when asked why he kept souvenirs, including body parts and Polaroids, from his victims.
“In my opinion, the best chance you have of catching this guy is to get a site with a fresh body and stake it out.”
5. While on death row, Ted Bundy helped the “Green River Killer” task force, namely detective Robert Keppel, understand the mind of a serial killer. This was Bundy’s creepy advice for finding the notorious serial killer.
“I’m the most cold-hearted son of a bitch you’ll ever meet.”
6. Detective Don Parchen claims Bundy delivered this dramatic assessment while being interrogated in Tallahassee, Florida.
“I'll rain on your parade, Jack. You'll see a thunderstorm. This will not be the pat little drama you've arranged.”
7. Bundy lost his cool in dramatic fashion in this courtroom outburst caught on video, offering a glimpse at the threatening energy that fueled his life of crime.
“I think I stand as much chance of dying in front of a firing squad or in a gas chamber as you do being killed on a plane flight home. Let’s hope you don’t.”
8. Given his good looks and ability to captivate an audience, Bundy was a media favorite. Bundy gave an interview in 1977 from the Pitkin County Prison in Colorado, employing a quote-worthy analogy to stress his innocence.
“I’ll tell you, as long as they attempt to keep their heads in the sand about me, there’s gonna be people turning up in canyons and there are gonna be people being shot in Salt Lake City. Because the police there aren’t willing to accept what I think they know and they know that I didn’t do these things."
9. Ted Bundy repeatedly told the media he was an innocent man. In an animated interview, Bundy attacked the police, claiming that there was a conspiracy against him and that the true criminal was still loose.
“I have dreamed about flying over those fences. I have dreamed about climbing over those fences and tunneling under those fences.”
10. Again delivering a dramatic quote to the media, Bundy shared his desire to leave prison. Given that Bundy broke free from prison in 1977 and committed additional murders before his final capture in 1978, this seemingly tame soundbite casts a dark and chilling shadow.
TED BUNDY GREW UP THINKING HIS MOTHER WAS HIS SISTER & OTHER DISTURBING DETAILS ABOUT HIS CHILDHOOD
MAN KIDNAPS NEIGHBOR AT GUNPOINT FOR DOING HER LAUNDRY TOO LOUDLY
EX-ARMY DOC ACCUSED OF MAKING STUDENTS PERFORM VILE, DRUG-FUELED MEDICAL EXPERIMENTS ON EACH OTHER
Photos: Murderpedia; Wikimedia Commons